Monday, July 07, 2014

Marketable...


Grapes in a vineyard in SF...

____________

One of my very favorite things is going to a Farmers Market in the Spring/Summer here in Denver.  The evils of the Pig keep me from being a vegetarian (never a Vegan though.. no cheese?  I think not.)  But I try to eat more veggies and I love going out on the weekend and filling a bag for 10 bucks with every delicious thing I see... please excuse the photos as I took them in 12 seconds but I wanted to illustrate how great these Markets are....

10 bucks.  Here's what I bought....



Zucchinis.  My current favorite food on the Earth.  I have a spiralizer now and replacing pasta with ribbons of Zucchini works in ways that I never thought possible.. I'm cooking dinner right now and here is our skillet so far...


Red Pepper flakes, a bit of minced garlic and olive oil over medium heat for 3 mins and you have the best excuse for not using pasta ever.  I threw some minced mushrooms and jalapeƱos in there as well.. it's really great... I'm assembling dinner for TVGal who isn't the world's biggest veggie fan and I'll report on her thoughts at the end of this post...

Other Farmers Markets additions are...




The largest tomato I've ever bought.. I think it was the size of a volleyball..



I normally despise the Green Pepper as it makes everything it touches taste like.. well, a green pepper.  But in marinara sauce it works so it came along for the ride...


Green Beans. Yum.  They have nothing to do with tonight's recipe but... yum.  A pound went into my bag....


Patty Pan Squash.. also has no part in tonights dinner but its def. TVGal's gateway drug into the world of Squash.. you roast these thinly sliced squash with pepper and parmesan cheese under a 375 degree oven for ten minutes and its a lot of goodness going on...


My BFF, Broccoli.. I'll cook with it on Wednesday when TVGal is traveling for work.. 


Cantaloupe.. simply Yum.


Orange Cauliflower.. at the Market there was Purple, Green and Yellow (obviously White).. I'm told they all taste the same. I'll be making Cauliflower Mac and Cheese tomorrow and I'll report back.


JalapeƱo Peppers. Nuff Said.

I bought mushrooms and anaheim peppers that didnt make the photo list as well... 

I got all those foods for ten bucks.  I tried to estimate at my local grocer later what that would have been and I think it was just north of 27 bucks.  Again, SHOP YOUR LOCAL MARKETS WHEN POSSIBLE.  

See ya later.. it's dinner time here...

PS: TVGal LOVED the zucchini spirals.. as did I.  Cauliflower Mac N Cheese tonight.. report later..


_____________________

Alton Brown: Now, wet stuff does not like sticking to other wet ...stuff. It's one of those universal axioms that keeps the galaxy from ripping itself to shreds and dissolving into the void.
Marsha Brown: That's funny. I could have sworn that was gravity.
Alton: That's one of them, too.
--"Good Eats" (Food Network)



No comments: